Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Divine Purpose

I’ve been reading a series of books entitled “The Great & Terrible” by Chris Williams. They’ve really made me think more deeply about our divine purpose and where we came from, why we’re here and where we’re going. It has also given me a new perspective about who we are as Sons and Daughters of God and the influence that the Holy Ghost and Satan and his many followers have in our lives. I know I’m here for a purpose and that God loves me and is mindful of who I am as well as my trials, hardships, and addictions. But I also know that Satan is mindful of who I am and who I can be as well. It would be great if I could stand as stalwart and brave in the face of temptation as the guy does in this section of the book.

This short section is taken out of the first book, The Brothers. It is set in the pre-existence and involves a conversation between Lucifer and a man named Ammon. Lucifer is upset b/c Ammon has told him that he is choosing to follow Christ’s plan rather than his (Satan’s)...

Another vision opened, and Ammon gasped in heartwrenching fear. In an instant he saw all the horrors of the world, all the pain and ambition, all the murders and fraud, the torture, the abuse, the manipulation and lies, the broken families and disappointments, the fatherless children and mothers with empty arms. He saw the blood, death and horror Lucifer would rain on the earth. He gasped and stepped back, a look of shock and fear in his eyes.

Thrusting a finger, Lucifer peered in Ammon’s face. “I will find you,” he promised. “I will remember this day. I will find you and curse you when you go down to earth. I will turn every rock and obstacle in your way. If you won’t join me in hell, I will bring hell to you. I may not win, but I promise I will make you infinitely miserable. Who knows what I plan? I may curse you w/ disease, take the lives of your children, or kill others you love. I may arrange a crippling accident to break your precious body in two, make you poor, make you fail, make you depressed and alone, cause you heartbreak and misery. So many things I can do! So remember this day, and even if you can't, I will remember you. I will create a special hell and bring it to you."

Ammon started at him, unflinching. “Perhaps you will do those things. Do what you will. I don’t fear you now. I understand, can’t you see that? I know what you can and can’t do to me. You can tempt me, desert me, or cause me great pain; you can create a dark world that may cause me to fear; you can rule your world w/ blood and terror, that’s true. But you can’t win. And I know that. Weak as I am, with my imperfections and sins, even w/ all of my failings, I am stronger than you. I will soon have a body. And I have my agency now. I will increase in my faith and knowledge and power. I am not perfect, but I will be, and there’s not a thing you can do! I will become like the Father if I follow the Son. You are powerless to stop me. You can threaten and tempt and whisper lies in my ear, but you can’t stop me Satan; I see that so clearly now! I can stop myself, yes, but only if I follow you.
And I reject your temptations. I reject your whispered lies. I reject you, Lucifer, and your entire plan. You have no power to control me. I am in control of myself. And try as you might, you won’t control me on earth. We will defeat you in heaven, and we will defeat you on earth. Here, or the earth, it doesn’t matter; I am always stronger than you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment