Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Voices in My Head

I found the drawing below online and it immediately resonated with me. I don't remember which post it was, but I remember writing about how I feel like I'm in the middle of a room, surrounded by evil spirits that are constantly whispering temptations and bad thoughts in my ear.

Depending where I am at mentally and in my recovery, sometimes I can block those voices out; but other times I perk my ears up and listen and obey. It is a constant battle and I do grow ever so weary of fighting it. And the sad reality of it all is that this battle will forever be going on in my head. Once an addict, always an addict.

Nevertheless, today I feel good and strong and have clarity of mind. I feel grounded in my recovery. I am one week abstinent and sober.

Since it's Christmastime, here's a quote I like from once of the carols sung in the movie "A Christmas Carol":

"So grant us all a change of heart, Rejoice for Mary's son! Pray peace on earth to all mankind, God bless us everyone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment